Complaint before a court

If the video monitoring and recording was performed by a private individual or an entity and you believe that it has resulted in harm to your right to control the use of your personal data, you can complain about this action before a court of general jurisdiction (civil court).

Before submitting an official complaint to a court, you should inform the person or entity about your intentions and ask whether they are willing to pay you compensation without the involvement of court proceedings.

If negotiations are, or are deemed to be, unsuccessful you can challenge the action taken by this person before a court of general jurisdiction (civil court).

Your application

In your application you should:

  • refer to the relevant provisions that entitle you to seek compensation
  • provide arguments about which activities taken by the person that performed the surveillance and possesses the footage were unlawful and why
  • name the legal provisions which have been violated
  • indicate the amount of requested compensation
  • add relevant documents that substantiate your opinion, if there are any

You can learn more about how to prepare your application in the Civil Procedure Law.

Court's decision

A court of general jurisdiction (civil court) will assess whether the data user has acted lawfully. If the data user has not acted lawfully and it has caused you damage, the court may order compensation.

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education