Request to data user

You have the right to request the authority or person who has performed the video monitoring and possesses the footage reflecting your conduct for the following information:

  • the kind of recordings that have been collected
  • for how long the recordings have been collected
  • to which other persons or institutions the video recordings have been disclosed
  • the purpose, legal basis and method of processing of the video recordings

Read more about access to your personal data.

Appeal to Data State Inspectorate

If the competent authority or person has refused to provide you with the requested information, you have the right to appeal to the Data State Inspectorate.

In your application you should indicate:

  • the kind of action that you expect from the authority or person
  • arguments as to why the authority or person should have fulfilled your request
  • and include relevant documents that substantiate your opinion, if there are any

Appeal to Administrative court

If you are not satisfied with the decision taken by the Data State Inspectorate, you can challenge the decision in the Administrative court and in addition, ask for compensation due to the refusal of the Data State Inspectorate. You can learn more about how to prepare your application and other requirements as well in the Administrative Procedure Law.

The Administrative court will assess whether the data user has acted lawfully and, if necessary, may oblige the Data State Inspectorate to order the data user to provide access to information regarding your video recordings. The court may also order compensation if you have requested it.

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education