Complaint before a court

If your image has been used by a private individual or an entity, and you believe that your image’s processing has resulted in harm to your right to private life, you can submit a claim before a court of general jurisdiction (civil court).

Before submitting an official claim to a court, you should inform the person or entity about your intentions and ask whether they are willing to grant you compensation without the involvement of court proceedings. If the negotiations are, or are deemed to be, unsuccessful you can challenge the action taken before a court of general jurisdiction (civil court).

Your application

In your application you should:

  • refer to the relevant provisions that entitle you to seek compensation
  • provide arguments about which activities were unlawful or applied in a disproportionate way and why
  • name the legal provisions which have been violated
  • indicate the amount of the requested compensation
  • add relevant documents that substantiate your opinion, if there are any

You can learn more about how to prepare your application in the Civil Procedure Law.

Court's decision

A court of general jurisdiction (civil court) will assess whether the data user has acted lawfully. If the data user has not acted lawfully and it has caused you damage, the court may order compensation.

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education