If the institution that has processed your image is a public authority and you feel that your image’s use has resulted in harm to your right to private life, you can complain to the authority that has processed your data.

Your application

In your application you should:

  • refer to the relevant provisions that entitle you to seek compensation
  • provide arguments as to which activities were unlawful or applied in a disproportionate way and why
  • name the legal provisions which have been violated
  • indicate the amount of the requested compensation
  • add relevant documents that substantiate your opinion, if there are any.

The institution itself or its supervising (or otherwise competent) authority will assess whether the institution has acted lawfully and, if not, may order compensation.

Appeal to Administrative court

If you are not satisfied with the decision taken by the authority, you can challenge the decision in the Administrative court. You can learn more how to prepare your application in the Administrative Procedure Law. The Administrative court will assess whether the data user has acted lawfully. If the data user has not acted lawfully and it has caused you damage, the court may oblige the institution to provide compensation.

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education