Complaint before a court

If your medical data was processed by a private individual or entity and you believe that this has resulted in harm to your right to private life, you can file a complaint before a court of general jurisdiction (civil court).

Before submitting an official complaint to the court, you should inform the individual or entity about your intentions and ask whether they would be willing to grant you compensation without the involvement of court proceedings. If negotiations are, or are deemed to be, unsuccessful you can challenge the action taken before a court of general jurisdiction (civil court).

Your application

In your application you should:

  • refer to the relevant legal provisions that entitle you to seek compensation
  • provide arguments as to which activities taken by the person or entity which possesses your medical data were unlawful or applied in a disproportionate way and why
  • name the legal provisions which have been violated
  • indicate the amount of requested compensation
  • add relevant documents that substantiate your opinion, if there are any

You can learn more about how to prepare your application in the Civil Procedure Law.

Court's decision

A court of general jurisdiction (civil court) will assess whether the data user has acted lawfully. If the data user has not acted lawfully and it has caused you damage, the court may order compensation.

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education