You may decide to complain if you have been denied access to the information you have requested and you think that this decision is disproportional and lacks sufficient or valid reasoning.

If you decide to complain, you must first appeal the decision that denies you access to the head of the state institution which has issued it. The decision should include information on the procedures and time-limits for appeal.


If you also disagree with the response and decision of the head of this state institution, you may decide to appeal it further to the Administrative Court.


Where you have suffered damages due to not being able to have access to the information, you can also ask for compensation when appealing to the court.

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education