How to complain

If you believe that you have been placed in a mental health care institution unlawfully, you have the right to complain.

You should first complain locally to the Latvian authorities and courts. They should be able to offer the easiest and fastest solution to your problem. 

European and international institutions will not accept your claim if you have not complained first to local institutions. You can only apply to the European and international institutions if you think that the violation of your rights has not been remedied by the Latvian institutions. 

About this section

This section of the Guide will explain how to complain about unlawful involuntary placement in a mental health care institution. 

You can read about international and European complaint procedures in the section Human rights institutions

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education