When arrested you are held in a temporary place of detention. You have the right to be held in conditions that are not inhumane or degrading. Read more about the conditions in the place of detention.

Complaint to the police

If you believe that the conditions in the temporary place of detention violated your rights, you can complain about this to the police department responsible for this place of detention. You may also claim compensation if you believe that you have suffered any material or moral damages.


When filing the claim, you should explain all the relevant facts, the type of violation, how it occurred and add evidence, if you have any. The relevant institution will not consider the compensation claim without also evaluating whether the claimed violations occurred. The police might ask you for more explanations or documentation, where necessary. You can read about how to submit a complaint on the website of the State Police. The procedure for how to ask for compensation and how it will be considered is explained in the Law on the Compensation of Damages Caused by the State Institutions.


You have the right to receive a response to your application in writing within one month. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the police, you can appeal their decision to a higher institution. The police have to indicate where you can appeal within their decision.

Complaint to the Health Inspectorate

If you were seen by a doctor during your arrest period and you were not satisfied by the quality of the treatment received, you can submit a complaint to the Health Inspectorate of the Ministry of Health. The procedure for writing an application is explained on the website of the Health Inspectorate. The Health Inspectorate will consider your application free of charge, make a decision about the next appropriate step and ask you for further documentation, if necessary. The inspectorate must respond to you within one month.

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education