How do you complain about issues related to your arrest?

You have the right to complain if you think that any of your rights were violated during your arrest period.
You should first complain locally – to the Latvian authorities and courts. International and European institutions will not accept your claim if you have not tried to complain to local institutions first. You can only go to the international and European institutions if you think that the violation of your rights has not been remedied by the Latvian institutions.

About this section

This section of the Guide will explain how you can complain to the Latvian institutions and courts and for what reasons. 

You can read about international and European complaint procedures in the section Human rights institutions

Last updated 22/03/2016