Right to complain

You have the right to complain if you believe that you have been mistreated by prison staff or other inmates during your detention on remand. You can read more about mistreatment and the consequences of certain behaviour.

Where to submit the complaint?

You can complain about mistreatment by prison guards or other inmates to the Latvian Prison Administration. The Latvian Prison Administration is responsible for examining the situation concerning your mistreatment or the disrespect of your rights. The Prison Administration may ask you for additional explanations or documentation, where necessary.

If needed, it will also forward your complaint to another responsible institution or person for further examination of your complaint.  Where the mistreatment may have resulted in a criminal offence, the case will be further examined according to the Criminal Procedure Law by:

  • the Internal Security Bureau if the offence was committed by prison staff
  • a special investigator, who is usually part of the prison staff, if the offence was committed by other inmates

Decision & Appeal

You have the right to receive a written response to your application within one month. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Latvian Prison Administration, you can appeal their decision to a higher authority. In its decision, the Latvian Prison Administration has to indicate where and when you can appeal.


If you believe that your rights were violated due to mistreatment in the investigation prison, you can also request compensation.

Human Rights Guide

A European platform for human rights education