How do you complain about issues related to your detention?

You must have opportunities to complain if you believe that any of your rights have been violated during your detention on remand.
You should complain locally first – to the Latvian authorities and courts. International and European institutions will not accept your claim if you have not tried to complain to local institutions first. You can only go to international or European institutions if you think that the violation of your rights has not been remedied by Latvian institutions.

About this section

This section of the Guide will explain how you can complain to Latvian institutions and courts and about what. 

You can read about international and European complaint procedures in the section Human rights institutions.

Last updated 22/03/2016