If you are appointed as a public official by a public authority

Complaint to institution

If you believe that the processing of your private information by your employer - a public authority, that has appointed you as a public official - has resulted in harm to your right to private life, you can complain to this authority.

Your application

In your application you should:

  • refer to relevant legal provisions that entitle you to seek compensation
  • provide arguments about which activities taken by the authority that processes your personal data were unlawful or applied in a disproportionate manner and why
  • name the legal provisions which have been violated
  • indicate the amount of the requested compensation
  • add relevant documents that substantiate your opinion, if there are any

The institution employing you or its supervising authority will assess whether the institution has acted lawfully and, if it has not acted lawfully, may order compensation.

Appeal to Administrative court

If you are not satisfied with the decision taken by the authority, you can challenge the decision in the Administrative court. You can learn more about how to prepare your application in Administrative Procedure Law.

The Administrative court will assess whether the data user has acted lawfully. If the data user has not acted lawfully and it has caused you damage, the court may oblige the institution to order compensation.


Last updated 08/06/2019